Sunday, May 10, 2009

REVIEW: JCVD

I heard about this movie a few months ago, when I was going to see something else at the Angelika, and it totally intrigued me. I grew up watching Jean-Claude Van Damme movies throughout my childhood...Cyborg, Blood Sport, and Universal Soldier. Hard Target is still one of my guilty pleasures.

For an actor like that to totally parody himself in a movie takes a lot of balls, and this film doesn't pull any punches. The story follows the down-on-his-luck action stars troubles...no money, losing custody of his daughter, losing film roles to Steven Seagal. He walks into a post office to wire money to his lawyer, and finds himself in the middle of a robbery.

This film takes a look not only at JCVD as a person, but as an actor and an international movie star who can't seem to catch a break. The most heart-wrenching part is a six minute monologue that he does, facing the camera, talking about his problems, and this is perhaps the Muscles from Brussels best acting...ever. He's not an action star in this movie, but an actor, and it's refreshing to see that he CAN actually act.

If you liked this past year's Cinderalla story movie The Wrestler, you'll love this movie, because instead of focusing on the wrestling world, it looks at Hollywood, and how it can grind up people like meat. Even if you don't like JCVD, I think you should check this movie out.

If I gave out stars, I'd give it 4. But since I don't, I'm just going to say it's pretty fucking good.

No comments: