Wednesday, April 10, 2019

SHAZAM - DC realizes it doesn't have to go dark and gritty to have a good superhero movie

I've been wanting to see this movie since I saw the first trailer a few months ago, mostly because it looked fun and happy and I'm tired of seeing all these dark takes on superheroes.  I mean, Avengers : Infinity War wrecked me...for WEEKS.  I still can't watch the scene with Spider-Man at the end without tearing up.

Evidently DC has realized the same thing...people don't want morally ambiguous superheroes anymore...we want good guys.  And this film does a great job of mixing Superman with Big.  

I'm a sucker for body-switching comedies, and this is probably one of the better ones out there.  I'm also a Zachary Levi fan, ever since Chuck, and I'm always pleased when he pops up in something I like.  He does a great job of acting like a teenager while in the body of a full grown man...the beer scene killed me.  And I'm more excited to see what happens to the future of the DC Cinematic Universe with characters like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam! in them.  The MCU started off with Iron Man, which I don't think was a flagship character at the time.  Maybe it's better to go smaller.  

Anyway, the movie was enjoyable and had a bunch of heart, which I'm starting to realize I appreciate more and more.  After watching this, I feel like I might want to check out Aquaman now.

No comments: