Wednesday, July 20, 2011

REVIEW: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hollows Part 2

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hollows Part 2, directed by David Yates, starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, and a whole mess of other English people.

I really wanted to go see this movie this weekend, because like most people in the English-speaking and otherwise world, I've read the books and seen all the movies.  I'm not as big a fan as some (a friend of mine has a Harry-inspired lightning bolt tattoo on her wrist...NERD), but I enjoy the story.  However, I always found the idea of the Deathly Hollows in the books as very confusing, and seemed to be a MacGuffin that JK Rowling threw into the last book for no apparent reason.

While the movie had some tear-jerking moments, I think the awkward epilogue totally ruined the movie for me.  It was so bad, I was left feeling empty.  And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the WHOLE movie had this same sort of empty emotional impact.  There were deaths of major characters that the movie just glossed over, the final realization of Hermione & Ron's relationship didn't have the same emotional impact, and by the end of the movie I was thinking "Ok, what happens next?"

But there is no next...unless Rowling wants to make a few more BILLION dollars and write another series of wizard books.  And having grown up with these characters (and actors), I feel like I was cheated from my emotional conclusion. 
Somebody grew up HOT!

No comments: